Monday, March 10, 2008

Who Knows What Else We Are Consuming

Just some ranting after reading the news…

Associated Press writers Jeff Donn, Martha Mendoza and Justin Pritchard have uncovered the obvious in their article AP Probe Finds Drugs in Drinking Water.

Interesting, that as of late, doctors are crying antibiotic resistance; a direct result of over prescribing. Yet I know that I haven’t had them over prescribed, you? I can see why a slim few might have build up a resistance; but, that should not affect my prescribed healthcare or should it?

Flip the newspaper page, for one second, and what do you see about our sources of food? Genetically altered vegetables, beef fed antibiotics, chickens fed animal waste products … Let’s see I eat beef and ingest milk products; it seems cows have had an influx of unnecessary antibiotics … I eat chicken and it appears they’ve been fed animal byproducts (probably beef byproducts, just a guess). Not to mention animal waste products are often used as fertilizers; isn’t it obvious that through seepage these unnecessary medicinal chemicals would enter our water supply?

Add the above to the articles additional source of medications such as those used for chemo therapy, seizures, ADHD, sexual disorders and diseases, and what do you get? A chemical nightmare! Not to mention what’s thrown in via acid rain and just plain old pollution.

So where am I going with all of this? Yes, I’m still buying the food and drinking the water and paying the ridiculous currently inflated prices to do it! Why, because what else can I do? I live in suburbia where neighborhood covenants forbid farm animals; plus I’m not that interested in becoming a strict vegan; nor can I afford to go completely ‘organic’. However, I am certainly going to look into a Reverse Osmosis water system, as expensive as they are, for our kitchen sink; I might buy more Laura’s Beef even at the raised price; and maybe I’ll hit a farmers market for some eggs (not likely as I'm not aware of any).

Really folks, it is a bit too late for us … but for our children, maybe there is a bit of a chance yet. Just think there may even be a cure for ADHD and Allergies and it could be as simple as clean water and God intended natural food!


Here are three different links to the same article that spawned this tirade.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080309/ap_on_re_us/pharmawater_i
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hGsoyElv4ZL879LW6z2aZS0Pix7AD8VA14500
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=4416882

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Renaissance Lady,

Your email didn't work, so I'm going to have to post this here in hopes you'll see it!

Hey, guess what... you know the big tax monkey package we're putting together at homeschoolradioshows.com? You won it because of your comment to the blog. Is that cool or what? Please email me with your contact info, and we'll get your copy out to you next week when these go out! Thanks for posting the nice comment on our blog. (I like your blog too.)

Best Wishes,
Jim Erskine
Homeschoolradioshows.com

MzRenaissance said...

Jim -- I emailed you from my personal email; not sure why my email didn't work.

I also posted a blog entry about the new contest at my school blog http://homeschoolblogger.com/SMILEacademy

Can't wait to get that package!