Monday, March 30, 2009

Lights, Cameras, Action! Highlights from the 2009 Christian Filmmakers Academy

When Vision Forum asked me to choose one of their new albums to review, my immediate response was to accept the Let Freedom Ring: 13 CDs from the Philadelphia Faith and Freedom Tour, being a PA transplant; but my husband said “No way, didn’t you say we should send DS to their Film Academy? Get the movie album!” Even after reminding him that DS was no were near the age to attend the Academy, hubby insisted that Lights, Cameras, Action! Highlights from the 2009 Christian Filmmakers Academy was the definite way to go; besides he’d listen to all 19 CDs with me…

Well, having a deadline negated hubby from listening (he heard about half of one) but I was totally blown away with the content included on these CDs! DS has been begging for the CDs and I think I will hold them out as the proverbial carrot if you know what I mean, if hubby doesn’t snag them for his car ride into work.

Why was I so impressed? Part of it may have been I underestimated the Christian Filmmakers Academy, I just didn’t realize how professional they really were nor did I understand the vast amount of information they would convey.

I learned so much about film making starting with the very basics of frame composition and camera selection to uses for color grading and even some stunt secrets – baby powder, who knew? How to avoid common mistakes for beginning directors, how to help your actors, contacts for networking, they even touched on proper padding for stunt professionals, camera angles, storyboarding, marketing and distribution!

What didn’t I like about the album? Speaking as a newbie here and really not knowing about the film industry other than as a consumer, what I know has come from DVD Special Features and what my DS has taught me with his stop motion films or camcorder shorts, my biggest disappointment was that it was only the Highlights. Next was that since we were discussing film, it would have been nice to see the clips under discussion; I realize however, that this may have not been possible due to copyright issues. So, I had to be content with PDFs of the slides used during the lectures.

Even more impressive than the massive technical information was the fact that, sometimes while listening, I felt as if I was in church. I know we are to live our lives through the lens of Scripture, but knowing that and doing that are two different things. I was extremely humbled hearing from men who truly see God as the center of all things, are excelling in their selected field, and are willing to educate others.

The Biblical foundation they laid certainly applied to film, but so much more: the arts in general, writing, comics, painting, graphic novels, and video games – all areas DS and other young men are interested in; not only in the creation of, but for the viewing of as well.

Certainly listening to successful producers, directors, and actors whom have movies in the theaters, on cable, and in DVD distribution; extolling the virtues of Christ while imparting the importance of maintaining and promoting a Biblical world view add credence to what many of us parents are already teaching our aspiring artists.

Thank you, Vision Forum and Christian Filmmakers Academy! We’ll be looking forward to next years CDs.

No comments: